Long and demanding alpine tour to the volcano above Lake Faak.
Distance 13.3 km
The Mittagskogel hike is one of the most famous, and most challenging, hikes in the Villach area. The hike goes along the sometimes-quite-steep west side of the mountain up to the summit. The hike down to the Berta hut is a bit easier, with a chance for nourishment at the hut.
Descend the way we have described in this guide, as the way down on the western flank can be extremely difficult and unpleasant.
Safety informationAt about 1200 meters above sea level you will find a spring. The next water source can't be found again until arriving at the Bertha hut.
The western flank of the Mittagskogel is steep and rubble-enforced. Sure-footedness is required for this hike- and we don't recommend it if you are scared of heights!
Tips and hintsRegion Villach Tourism
+43 4242 42000
Getting thereComing from Villach or from Rostental take the B85 road (Rosentalstrasse) until Gasthof Martinihof in Latschach, to Buschenschenke Ischnighof or to Koflerbauer.
ParkingAt the Gasthof (inn/restaurant), the Buschenschenke (tavern) or the Bauernhof (farm)
33T 418373 5155036
EquipmentHiking boots , jacket, snacks, plenty to drink
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view