This is an intense tour from the Faaker See (Lake Faak) up to the Dobratsch- Villach's house mountain and nature park!
Mittagskogel and Dobratsch are the two distinctive mountains in the region that are also stamped with characteristics of Lake Faak's landscape. The tour leads from Faak to Gödersdorf and then to Warmbad, the famous home of thermal spas and the ultra-modern "Kärnten Therme." From Warmbad the paith leads to the Gipfelstrasse (Summit Road) up to the Dobratsch where magnificent views are guaranteed!
There are several worthwhile rest spots and information placards along Villacher Alpenstrasse to enjoy!
- Parkplatz 2: Stadt und Seenblick" rest area at 862 meters above sea level with a view of Villach and the surrounding lakes.
- Parkplatz 4: Information about rare birds in the Dobratsch nature park.
- Parkplatz 5: "Wurzelboden" rest area at 1,307 meters above sea level- in addition to the view, this is also a picnic area.
- Parkplatz 6: Alpengarten (1,403 m): A 10,000 square meter garden with 800 different types of Alps flowers (separate entrance fee). Rote Wand: observation deck which takes you directly over a dramatic drop-off. Information: an information placard about the Dobratsch landslide, bird protection initiatives and the birds of prey in the area.
- Parkplatz 8: Aichingerhütte at 1,650 meters above sea level- information about the majestic birds of the area and the nature park information area.
- Parkplatz 11: Rosstratte at 1,732 meters above sea level. It offers: the geology path "From Ocean to Mountain:" 200 million year old geological structures at the foot of the Dobratsch summit/ playground for children/ "Bikers Point" for motorcycle riders/ Mountain restaurant "Rosstrattenstüberl"/ starting point for a relaxing 90 minute hike to the summit/ a relaxation and meditation area with magnificent views and interesting chairs/ a 15 minute walk to one of the best chamois spotting areas in Europe!
Updated: August 09, 2019
Tips, hints and linksRegion Villach Tourism
+43 4242 42000
Getting thereFaak is reachable with the A2 highway, exit at "Villach-Faaker See" and you will be on the south end of the Faaker See (Lake Faak).
ParkingThere are plenty of parking spots across from the Faak Tourist Information Center or at the farmer's market.
33T 416352 5157546
EquipmentRacing bike or mountain bike and drinking water
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.